Thursday, January 15, 2009

Status-un-quo

I’ve thought for so long about what I should write as my first post in the new year- and the longer I think about it- the more I focus on it- the more impossible it has become. I know it’s not the be-all end-all. I know this- but somehow it has become something significant…like…whatever I write will be representative of how this year will go- what will happen- and how I will succeed or fail in documenting each and every step. Furthermore, whether I will succeed or fail. Period. Terrifying, stuff huh?

So there it is. First post. Now I can get on with it…

Barcelona is freezing, school isn’t any easier than last semester despite the multiple promises from 2nd year students, Italy remains my favorite country in the world- I can’t seem to get enough. I still don't know what I want to do with my life- let alone what type of internship to pursue this summer. The world is still in an economic crisis…therefore there is a possibility that there will be no internships to pursue. 
And pretty much everything else is status-quo. Wait. I lied. Nothing is status-quo. There is no status-quo. There will be no status-quo until this MBA has concluded and the next phase of my life begins….whatever that may be.

Status quo. How does one define status quo? Maintaining “the existing state of affairs.” 
Here, everyday the state of affairs changes. There is no consistency, predictability, stability- and there are no enduring truths. Maybe this is a consequence of doing an MBA without a concrete career path- and on the other hand, the impermanence of everything is a result of how I have decided to live my life. Adding an MBA to the mix only further complicated things- with the expectation and hope that upon graduation, maybe the rest of the world will be more simplified through my gained knowledge. Strategy. Fun fun.

As for the rest of the three week break, I struggled with a decision of whether or not to spend Christmas in England- and ended up back in Miami and then got bored, changed my ticket, and returned to Europe five days later. I spent a good amount of time in airports, a good amount of time eating everything I know I shouldn't, and a good amount of time thinking about nothing.

We are now a week into school and almost at the end of an intensive “Competition and Strategy” course/seminar. After excessive restful reflection and delighting in re-reading novels like Jane Eyre, business policy is no walk in the park. Although, what we are learning- the info that we actually manage to sort through and internalize- its pretty interesting...applicable. To what? Well- that's what im figuring out. 
Each day a few more ideas roll around my mind. By evening- they are either gone or twice the size they were in the morning. Some days, I wake with the fresh idea and by the end of the day- it is buried under all the superfluous info I have been bombarded with hour after hour. If I’m lucky, a shadow of recognition remains and I go to bed hoping that the day will come when I have time to actually pursue these “brilliant” ideas of mine. In the meantime, I’m occupying myself with staying warm at night, paying attention during the day, planting roots in Barcelona, sprouting wings I will fly with in the future, and managing my bank accounts while the Euro-to-Dollar rate decides what it is going to do. 
So status-quo? I think not.

No comments: