Friday, June 19, 2009

Summatime

Summer is officially here and I’m not exactly where I thought I would be (in more ways than one...) But let's talk location:

I’m in Barcelona- carting myself to and from school, doing my best to irritate anyone I can find- requesting the various letters and documentation that I can't seem to get right on the first, second or third tries. And then rushing between the lawyers and the local authorities- in attempt to renew my residency card (NIE) and the one thing I have found is that none of the aforementioned bodies can seem to communicate on an adequately explicit level and therefore, a process that should take a few days has taken over a week. 

I HEART  Spain.

Good news though; the paperwork part should be done and I’ll find out first thing Monday morning if it worked- or if I have to start all over again.

In a few minutes, I have to register for the second time for next year’s elective courses due to the fact that there was a “technical glitch” that wiped out all the previous registration efforts. This little mishap has caused me to yet again question the classes I have chosen. As my friend mentioned, "I'm trying not to think about it but I'm not sure if I can trust the younger version of me." 

There are so many directions to go in- I could take all the things that come naturally to me and have a chilled out year with uncomplicated pressures. OR I could take all finance and econ and challenge myself by entering the 9th circle of hell. I could register for a bunch of management and strategy courses that I could then apply to almost any career I end up in, or I could mix it up a bit and keep it interesting. I have opted for the latter two options.

As long as I will never have to do Quantitative Models again- it should be smooth sailing.

Thus far, assuming all goes well and there are no more “technical issues,” I will be taking;

Strategic Business Simulation

Family Business Management

Entrepreneurship

Corporate Citizenship

The Transnational Manager

Management of Cultural and Creative Industries

Branding

Corporate Level Strategy

Leadership Power and Influence

Geopolitics

Sounds good, huh?

Additionally, I will be joining about 40 students on the one week China study trip in September in Beijing. I can't wait. More on that later…

In the meantime, I have to pray that the Catalan officials accept my residency for another year and then I can get a move on to the China Visa (seems I have sent a large part of my life applying for Visa’s). Once that is locked down- I’ll begin planning around Beijing. I’m thinking Shanghai, Hong Kong, Tibet (if there isn’t too much unrest) and possibly a beach in Thailand.

Speaking of beaches, between the bureaucratic b.s.- I’ve officially traded escuela por la playa and have spent a good few days picking the sand out of my wedgie with my classmates who are still around Barcelona. Between beers, paddle ball and rotating our bodies like meat on skewers- I’m actually getting to know my friends again- since I haven’t had the chance to talk to any of them since pre-term.

Once the official stuff is done and I get my passport back, I’ll be heading to Italy to get started on a few projects- and of course, to eat, drink and forget even more Spanish.

Here’s the official verano 2009 playlist:       

1.     Jason Mraz- I’m Yours

2.     Buena Vista Social Club- Clocks (Coldplay, Rhythms del Mondo)

3.     Oasis- Waiting for the Rapture

4.     Adam Lambert- Mad World

5.     Plain White T’s- 1,2,3,4

6.     Sum 41- Pieces

7.     Melendi- Caminando Por La Vida

8.     Alexander Rybak- Fairytale

9.     Jack Johnson- It Seems to Me that Maybe

10. Empire of the Sun- Walking on a Dream

11. Linkin Park- Shadow of the Day

12. Macaco- Moving

13. Parov Stelar- Kiss me Twice

14. S-Tone Inc- Con Mi Sombra

15. Thievery Corporation- El Pueblo Unido

16. Manuchau- Megusta

17. Brett Dennen- The One Who Loves You the Most

No comments: