Thursday, April 10, 2008

Trapped

Okay. So there are worse places to be trapped than America, The Beautiful, but because my entire life is on another continent, it’s hard to accept the fact that I cannot leave U.S. soil. I think the worst part is the principal; I have never liked anyone dictating to me where I can and cannot be. This may be one of the largest reasons I started “living internationally” in the first place. Furthermore, I had misgauged the Spanish Visa process and made travel plans that I have now had to cancel. Therefore, once all my superfluous paperwork is finally accepted by the consulate, my passport will be held hostage for another 6-10 weeks until this damn Visa of mine is finally issued.

Now comes the question at hand; what to do? Where to go? Miami is out of the question- I believe I’ve already overstayed my welcome and all my friends are either married or gone. New York works, and I will be there within the week, but it’s old news- been there, done that. New York is like going home, which is fine. The Big Apple is fabulous, and one of my favorite cities in the world- but these next few months are for me- to do things I would otherwise be unable to do. When am I going to have another time in my life with the freedom to go…and do…and explore- The freedom to be anywhere I want to be, with anyone, for any period of time. And the Spaniards are keeping me at home.
Other options: California? Could work. Road trip? The cost of petrol is too high. Alaska? There’s a thought. Summer solstice is in June…could be interesting. Hawaii? Hmmm.

I understand that I’m lucky to even be contemplating these options and I’m sure someone is reading this post and cringing. I don’t mean to sound ungrateful- but domestic travel simply isn’t appealing to me right now. I hate to admit it, but I’m actually angry.

I know that there will come a time in my life- where the mere notion of international flights and inexhaustible immigrations lines will send me into a panic. I also fear that the world is getting smaller- more globalization is occurring, which is wonderful in certain aspects, but the remote areas of the world that are completely foreign and new and exotic will be sprouting McDonalds’ and building superhighways. I want to see it all before it changes- I want to live it and take it in and make it all a part of me.

I hope to visit Cuba before I’m actually allowed in, I want to see Bhutan before it has a Starbuck’s, and I would like to dive the Great Barrier Reef before pollution and global warming take their tolls. I’m already fearful of the limited amount of time I have on this earth- and even more limited amount of time I have to travel it- but now? When I actually have a few months to fulfill some of my greatest desires- SPAIN IS KEEPING ME IN AMERICA! I’m going to get this MBA to make the world a better place- to learn how to somehow leave my mark- but how am I to do that if I don’t understand the world? If I am to remain in America- doing American things - spending American dollars- and only wondering about everything that is out there, what good will that do??

So there’s my rant for the day…I’m off to the consulate.

No comments: