One of my favorite parts of being in Miami is the opportunity to look through all my old boxes and albums and whatever else it is that I have left for my mother to deal with. Every so often, she implores me to clean out my closet and leaves me bins in which I am meant to put my things in order to be brought to external storage units. However, during the first big move after le divorce, I put vestiges of my youth into these “supposed” storage units and I haven’t seen them since- not even a trace. Personally, I believe that these units exist along similar lines of the “farm” that my bunny, Herman went to when I was at school one day in 5th grade…I never heard from him again either.
Needless to say, none of my snow-globes or dried out corsages, however tragically comical they are, will be seeing the insides of the removal bins.
Instead, each time I come home, my room becomes a war-zone strewn with dresses I’ve owned for 10 years and will never wear, and faded notes on lined paper passed to me by friends resulting in after-school detention for bad behavior.
Any way you look at it, I’m undoubtedly a packrat…and proud of it.
Who else can say that they have an entire bookshelf dedicated purely to the handwritten journals chronicling their life from the age of 7 and on? I love this sh*t!
As writing has always been a big part of my life, so has music. Therefore, I took the liberty of pulling out one of my first booklets of C.D.’s and had a little reunion with myself on the way to the dentist.
I found the collection absolutely hilarious and I thought I would share it.
Today’s afternoon playlist was as follows:
1. Under the Bridge, Red Hot Chili Peppers
2. The One To Be With You, Mr. Big
3. Always, Bon Jovi
4. Three Little Pigs, Green Jelly
5. From a Distance, Bette Midler (this was my first ever CD!!)
6. Loser, Beck
7. Weak, SWV
8. Again, Janet Jackson
9. We Didn’t Start The Fire, Billy Joel (I actually wrote out every word of this song so I could learn it. I can still recite it beginning to end…)
10. Bohemian Rhapsody, Queen
11. Closer to Fine, Indigo Girls
12. Jack and Diane, John Mellencamp
13. I Wanna Dance With Somebody, Whitney Houston (crack head)
14. Straight Up, Paula Abdul
15. Let’s Talk About Sex, Salt-n-Pepa
16. Jump, Kriss Kross
17. Come As You Are, Nirvana
18. Informer, Mr. Snow
19. Waterfalls, TLC
20. To Zion, Lauryn Hill
21. Crazy, Aerosmith
22. What if God Was One of Us, Joan Osbourne
23. Wonderwall, Oasis
24. End of the Road, Boys II Men
25. Life Goes On, 2pac
26. I’ll Be Missing You, Puff Daddy
27. I Will Remember You, Sarah McLachlan
p.s. my most treasured mixes could not be played due to the fact that the tape is now obsolete- and my many painstaking hours of recording songs directly from the radio are now worthless. I demand a revival!